Are you a septic system contractor in Jacksonville looking for information on sewage treatment systems that meet the latest requirements presented by the Department of Environmental Protection?
During the 2023 legislative session, the Florida Legislature passed House Bill (HB) 1379, Laws of Florida Chapter No. 2023-169. This statute specifies areas (impacted areas) in the state where Enhanced Nutrient-Reducing Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems (ENR-OSTDS) are required instead of conventional septic systems. (source: Florida DEP)
In this post, we’ll explore the new enhanced nutrient reducing onsite sewage treatment and disposal system laws in Florida, (also known as Aerobic Treatment Systems – ATS, or Aerobic Treatment Units – ATU) explain why you must be certified to install these systems, and how Hughes Supply Jacksonville can help your business be in compliance.
Understanding the Enhanced Nutrient Reduction Septic System Laws
In recent years, Florida has taken significant steps to address the environmental concerns associated with conventional septic systems. The state has introduced new regulations to reduce the impact of nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus on the environment. These nutrients, when released into the ground and surface waters, can cause water quality issues such as algae blooms and contamination.
The enhanced nutrient reduction laws in Florida aim to mitigate these issues by requiring homeowners to upgrade their existing septic systems to more efficient and eco-friendly models. These systems are designed to reduce nutrient discharge, ensuring cleaner water and a healthier environment for everyone.
- Protecting Water Quality: The new regulations are designed to protect Florida’s water bodies from nutrient pollution, which can lead to algal blooms, impaired aquatic ecosystems, and compromised water quality.
- Advanced Treatment: ENRSS systems incorporate advanced treatment technologies, such as aerobic treatment units and media filters, to remove nutrients more effectively from wastewater.
- Nitrogen and Phosphorus Reduction: These systems focus on reducing nitrogen and phosphorus levels, two key nutrients that contribute to water pollution and harm aquatic life.
- Environmental Responsibility: By installing ENRSS septic systems, you’re contributing to the conservation of Florida’s unique environment and its delicate balance.
Why Should You Consider installing ENR-OSTDS Septic Systems soon?
As a septic contractor, you might be wondering why you should recommend ENR-OSTDS to your clients. Here are a few compelling reasons:
- Environmental Responsibility: By installing ENR-OSTDS, you’re contributing to the preservation of Florida’s natural beauty and ecosystem health.
- Legal Compliance: Florida’s new septic laws require the use of ENR-OSTDS in certain areas, ensuring you’re on the right side of the law. With many more areas being added, you want to make sure your customers have the most up to date system to avoid much higher replacement expenses down the road.
- Market Demand: As awareness of environmental issues grows, more homeowners are looking for sustainable solutions. Offering ENR-OSTDS positions your business as an eco-conscious choice.
Hughes Supply: Your Partner in ENR-OSTDS Training with Infiltrator Water Technologies
If you are looking to enhance your knowledge and expertise in Enhanced Nutrient Reducing Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems (ENR-OSTDS), Hughes Supply Jacksonville is here to be your trusted partner.
We understand that staying up-to-date with the latest technologies and regulations is crucial for your business success. That’s why we’ve teamed up with Infiltrator Water Technologies to offer you the training and support you need.
What is an ATU / ATS / ENR-OSTDS System?
Aerobic Treatment Unit / Aerobic Treatment System (ATU / ATS)
Aerobic Treatment Units (ATU) / Aerobic Treatment Systems (ATS) use oxygen and infuse it with the wastewater, adding nutrients to it to treat the wastewater so that is is disinfected efficiently and safely. An ATU/ATS basically processes the waste more quickly by speeding up the treatment process. installing an ATU/ATS requires state licensed bi-annual inspections.
Why Choose Hughes Supply Jacksonville for ENR-OSTDS Training?
- 1. Experience and Expertise: Hughes Supply has been serving the plumbing industry in Jacksonville for decades. We have a deep understanding of the specific needs and challenges faced by septic contractors in Florida.
- 2. Partnership: Our partnership with Infiltrator Water Technologies gives us access to their cutting-edge training programs for ENR-OSTDS systems. You won’t find a more direct route to the expertise you need.
- 3. Local Presence: We’re right here in Jacksonville, making it easy for you to access the products and training you require without the hassle of long-distance travel.
How Hughes Supply Can Help You Receive ENR-OSTDS Certification:
Septic system installers MUST be certified by the product manufacturer prior to installing these systems, which is why it is so important to get certified today.
Hughes Supply Jacksonville can offer you training when and where you need it. These programs cover everything from the fundamentals of ENR-OSTDS systems to advanced installation techniques, and well as maintenance requirements. We organize and host local workshops and seminars, in partnership with Infiltrator Water Technologies. These events provide hands-on experience, certifications, and opportunities to network with fellow septic contractors.
In addition to training, Hughes Supply can offer you in-depth product knowledge. We stock a wide range of septic system products, including the Delta ECOPOD Advanced Wastewater Treatment Units from Infiltrator Water Technologies, so you can get everything needed for your projects in one place.
How to Get Started:
With the expertise gained from this training & certification, you can confidently offer ENR-OSTDS solutions to your clients, ensuring compliance with Florida’s regulations and contributing to environmental conservation.
Hughes Supply is committed to supporting septic contractors like you in Jacksonville, Florida, by providing access to top-notch training in ENR-OSTDS systems. Partner with us to advance your skills, grow your business, and make a positive impact on the environment. Together, we can build a cleaner, more sustainable future for our beautiful state of Florida.